Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Cindy
      Keymaster

Card: When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I’m feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things and then I don’t feel so bad. (Sound of Music)

Question: What’s your favorite food / activity / book / song / movie? Why?

Book: The Poky Little Puppy and the Patchwork Blanket

Cindy
      Keymaster

Koala Pete™’s story basket ready to do the second card with a group of 5, 6 and 7 year olds.

Koala Pete’s™ story basket includes the following:

Koala Pete puppet
      Basic craft supplies
      The Poky Little Puppy and the Patchwork Blanket
      Koala Pete’s class story
      Materials to make a paper patchwork blanket
      Materials to weave a placemat

Cindy
      Keymaster

Make a paper quilt.

Give each child one sheet of decorative paper (red, green, blue, yellow, etc.). Cut sheet of paper into squares (using whatever math, cutting, and measuring skills are appropriate for the child). Share squares of paper among the children. Glue onto a 2nd page of paper to create their own “blanket”.

Extensions:

Use fabric scraps (backed with Wonder Under).

Either paper or fabric scraps can be sewn together with a zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine. 60-Second Sewing shows you how to sew on cardstock. If you want, you could sew around the quilt edges to make a fancier quilt.

The class took a vote and, by a slight margin, chose to weave a placemat rather than make the paper quilt. Each child was given one color of strips that was to be shared with the others. If they did not share their color, their placemat would not look bright and colorful. Everyone cooperated nicely.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Cindy.
      Cindy
      Keymaster

Kendall’s Creative Classroom has a video for making a quilt. Older children might enjoy the math challenge opportunities here.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.